Victor Post
Who is this 'Iron Belle'?
Dreadful Power Play Dooms the Amerks in 3-1 Loss
email print
About this blog
By Kerry M. Davis
X
Chronicles of an Iron Belle
Hey there, my name is Kerry (that’s me in the picture up there) glad you are here. I have been a health nut for a while but never truly realized my passion for it until a few years ago. I have been a massage therapist for over ten years and known for my ability to ‘torture’ people. The CIA wasn’t hiring so I pursued an Infant Massage Therapy certification in an attempt to figure out when things start going awry as we develop and stopping them before they cause trouble when we are adults. Person after person would come to me seeking relief from their pain and all I could do was iron it out with a massage, the rest of the work was up to them and I soon found that not too many go to the gym and know what to do or have a personal trainer who gives them a good program. A major contributor to this issue is the lack of communication from the client to the professional out of ignorance of their own body all because we are so busy with the other demands of life to even listen to what our body is telling us. This blog will give you that understanding.

All that background stuff brought me to today: a certified personal trainer who LOVES kettlebell training (my fave move is the Turkish Get Up), loves running, and loves acting like a kid (I have three!). I hope you enjoy the journey with me as we tackle understanding our bodies and how to get the most of your time at the gym, beat injury, figure out what muscles are doing what, and have a few laughs along the way. Understand that I am a massage therapist and personal trainer, not a medical doctor so the advice I share here is strictly that: advice. To see the kind of work I do (with my hunk of a hubby) click here.

Please drop me a line though, I would love to hear all about you!

Take care,

Kerry M. Davis LMT, CIMT, CPT
Recent Posts
Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 p.m.
Oct. 27, 2014 6:15 p.m.
Oct. 27, 2014 6:20 p.m.
Oct. 27, 2014 6:15 p.m.
Oct. 27, 2014 12:18 p.m.
By Keith Wozniak, Amerks Blogger
Oct. 26, 2011 12:01 a.m.

A power play in hockey is pretty simple, you have the man advantage and pass the puck to get the other team out of position and then score.  Especially when you’re given EIGHT opportunities in a game.  Unfortunately the Amerks were not able to score and they even gave up a short handed goal in their 3-1 loss to the Adirondack Phantoms on Sunday evening.

Brayden McNabb wasn’t able to stop a pass up the side boards to Eric Wellwood who skated into the Amerks zone untouched and put the puck through Drew MacIntyre’s five hole only a minute and 47 seconds into the game.

McNabb made up for it only 23 seconds later with a pass on the ice to the front of the net where Marcus Foligno was in perfect position to redirect it past Phantoms goaltender Jason Bacashihua.

The Amerks were on the power play late in the first period when Harry Zolnierczyk took the puck down the ice on a breakaway and scored shorthanded to give the Phantoms the 2-1 lead.  It appeared to be a pass from Nick Crawford to Joe Finley that was intercepted.. or just a poor pass.  He took the puck down the ice with Crawford trailing and faked out MacIntyre right the top of the crease and put the puck in behind his pads.

Whoever was in control of the video board tonight was doing something else at the time and there was no reply.

The Amerks had five of their eight power play chances in the second period and were dreadful on each of them.  The team had more offensive opportunities playing full strength.  That could have been the Phantoms game plan in the second, play shorthanded and hold on to the advantage.  The failed power play attempts really showed the Amerks weakness at center.  Mark Voakes, Phil Varone and Jonathan Parker are doing what they can but not quite up to being a #1 or #2 center in this league just yet, they could get there by the end of the season but for right now it’s the weakest position the Amerks have.

Zac Rinaldo put the Phantoms up 3-1 at 16:53 of the third period which appeared to be lights out for the Amerks.  Garrett Roe was being covered by Shaone Morrisonn and dumped a simple back hand pass to to Rinaldo who skated in untouched and sniped a great shot along the ice to squeeze it just past MacIntyre on the far side.

With a minute and 15 seconds left in the game the Amerks finally put another puck past Bacashihua but referee Geno Binda waved off saying there was "contact with the goaltender."  Watch the video below and decide for yourself.  The puck went off of Bacashihua’s blocker into the air and then off of his blocker again and into the net.

That was the game.

After the final buzzer it was nice to see Ron Rolston hang out on the bench for a moment to have a few words with Binda as he skated off of the ice.  The past four coaches in Rochester would’ve just took off into the locker room.  There wasn’t anything he could say that would change the game but he shared an opinion on a game changing decision.

The team went 0 for 8 on the power play and they gave up a short handed goal.  It was this young teams first weekend with three games in three days. They’ll have a few things to work on before heading to Hamilton on Thursday and then Binghamton on Saturday.  The next home game is on Sunday November 6th against the Syracuse Crunch.

Recent Posts