A section of Fisher Road was closed from County Road 6 to Route 14 for a little over two hours Saturday night due to a leak of Anhydrous Ammonia behind a residence.

A section of Fisher Road in Phelps was closed from County Road 6 to Route 14 for a little over two hours Saturday night due to a leak of Anhydrous Ammonia behind a residence.

People living within the affected area were told to shelter in place while the leak was taken care of, according to Ontario County Sheriff’s deputies.

Deputies responded shortly before 8:30 p.m. Saturday to 459 Fisher Road along with Phelps Ambulance and Oaks Corners Fire Department. Residents William and Kelly Symonds said they smelled an ammonia type odor and felt dizzy. Deputies say that Waterloo resident Joseph Dendis owned several Anhydrous Ammonia tanks on the property behind the residence. A valve on one of the tanks malfunctioned, which allowed less than two gallons of the Anhydrous Ammonia to leak out from a drain hose, deputies said. Less than two gallons is considered a minor spill, according to deputies.

Ontario and Seneca County Haz-Mat Teams, Phelps Fire Department, Lyons Ambulance, and Finger Lakes Advanced Life Support responded once the leak was confirmed. In addition, a representative of Laird Farms in Seneca County who services the tanks responded and helped stop the leak and replace the valve.

Deputies said the Symonds were evaluated at the scene. Both of them declined to go to the hospital and no other injuries or property damage was reported.

Deputies said a section of Fisher Road, from County Road 6 to Route 14 was closed from about 8:45 p.m. until about 11 p.m., when the leak was fixed.